The issue isn't bandwidth, it's seek times.  Because the HDD is checking
every file, J random normal read/write might be delayed.

Basically, it doesn't _verify_ all files, but it does check for their
existence.  I know because my (overly-complicated, but we won't go into
that) config system results in the mapcycle file being missing at the start
of any update process, and during my servers' daily
restart-and-check-for-updates script it will always notice this and put it
back.

The only way I know of the avoid this would be to delete the directory and
start afresh, but that may not be the most constructive advice ever ;)