If the server is assigned to one core only with taskset, you will see spikes. I
used to have them like that but valve made changes while back. Now especially
on map changes, server can easily chew a lot more cpu than normally. You also
need to have atlest 600 megs memory free in order to have smoothly running
server.

So, server needs ore than one core to function properly. Option -threads 1 is
also bad for performance.

-ics