Sorry for duplicate answers, but:
Choke is when the player can't receive all the packets that the server are sending.

look at your min and max cmdrate values and you can perhaps find a solution.

On 2012-08-05 21:31, Peter Reinhold wrote:
Hi all,

I know this has been up before, but since the Pyro update i've had a rise in comments about lag, and bad/off hit registration from players that have ping in the 20-30 range.

So, i've ofcourse tried tweaking settings a bit on the servers, trying to find out what would be causing the problems, but I am pretty stumped as to what I can do, and I was hoping for some help.

I've gotten some net_graph pictures from one of the players, who is on a 15mbit line, a ping around 30 to the server, measured in Windows, and they look like this, http://imgur.com/a/6gPBT

As far as I understand, a high choke is bad, and this doesn't look good a all.

What I can see, aside from the choke, when I compare the graph to my own, is that his graph is extremely "spiky", while mine is "smooth" (hard to explain, I have graph points at almost every pixel, while his is spaced with a couple of pixels in between)

Does anyone have any pointers as to what I can do to try and alleviate this problem? As mentioned, it hasn't always been this way on the servers (ofcourse, lag has occured for some players from time to time), but the guy I used above has not changed internet or anything, and things have simply gone from good to bad, with no apparent changes other than TF2 updates.

A word about the servers, they are all hosted at a colo with plenty of bandwidth (multi Gb), running at max 80% CPU with plenty of RAM to spare. (Not rented servers, this is my own iron)

/Peter