On 05/08/2012 21:37, Peter Reinhold wrote:
On 05.08.2012 20:53, Russell Smith wrote:

As for the first it looks like you might not have your server
splitting larger packets, what are your settings for the following:
sv_maxrate
sv_minrate
sv_minupdaterate
sv_maxupdaterate
sv_mincmdrate
sv_maxcmdrate
net_splitpacket_maxrate
net_splitrate

Only ones i've set in server.cfg is min and maxrate, 5000 and 0 (unlimited) respectively.

Rest are default, which for me is

sv_minupdaterate 10
sv_maxupdaterate 66
sv_mincmdrate 10
sv_maxcmdrate 66
net_splitpacket_maxrate 15000
net_splitrate 1

Check the clients settings too.

If you look at the pictures, the right hand side (section 7 from valve's page here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2_Network_Graph) top to bottom these are requested cl_updaterate, actual update rate from server, cl_cmdrate and actual sent.

In both pictures, he's set to 100 - which is pointless in TF2 and obviously that means he's changed his settings and therefore questions his settings being correct. Since his values are higher than you have sv_max values set to he's likely to see some choke even when there isn't actually choke (described on page above)

But the 2nd figure down is far less than 66 - that's the problem.

If you connect to the server (and set your client to something like
rate 60000
cl_updaterate 66
cl_cmdrate 66

Does your right hand side of net_graph show 66/66/66/66 ? If so, the server may be fine.

I wonder if he has a low rate setting though, especially with you allowing such a low min rate. A few people on SPUF I've got to post net_graph screenshots like that, it turned out their rate had been 10000 or less and they usually say "I don't know where it got set that low" I think sometimes changing your steam settings changes it (although it usually sets my rate to 30000 not 10000 I think it's tied to the dl speed you say you have)

I've never had to tweak or change any of TF2's sv defaults on servers I have run to get that right hand side all showing 66/66/66/66 and zero choke and loss when my client connects to it. Which to me suggests you should definitely test with a client you trust to have good settings and then if the screenshots look similar, I'd consider it's something else other than tweaks to sv_xxx convars needed to solve it.

--
Dan