On 23/08/2013 01:43, Scruppy Dawg wrote:
Everyone knows the HWIDs are stored due to Steamguard (Or some form of
HWID, anyway). Couldn't Valve simply add something so that server
operators, when banning a SteamID, can also elect to ban the associated
HWID? The HWID never needs to be exposed to the server admins.

Is it difficult to change hwid though?

I can't say I've looked at it or care about it, but if something as simple as
changing the mac address alters it, it's not likely to improve anything.

It sounds like one of these things that might work for a week or 2 and then
cheaters would just figure out a way of working around it.

Auto detecting cheating and kicking / banning seems the best approach.
Doesn't SMAC and the alternatives work well enough to do that?

I've got to say I don't really notice a significant problem with cheaters in TF2
on the servers I play on.

I can't imagine why someone would keep creating accounts and going back to the same server only to be kicked and banned immediately, unless it's reached the point where
he's just doing it to wind the server owner and admins up.

--
Dan