That would only work if that would be a form of tracking number instead of the
HWID itself, for HWID's can be influenced, so if the hacker or w/e changes it,
it should not have a big impact on tracability, multiple HWID's would then be
linked to a tracking ID, for they can attempt to customize MAC addresses,
reinstallation with different OS's, adjusting driver versions etc, or w/e the
combination of things is they use for generating a HWID.

Tbh, its a lot of work for some Valve themselves doesn't see much benefit from.

Maybe the discussion would have to be focused on the advantages for Valve to
implement it, in their user experiences and the monetary ROI. (apart from the
whining of us about alts being a problem, for I rather see the pinion crap end.)