On 20/10/2013 17:36, Kyle Sanderson wrote:
Unfortunately, TF2 is a pretty good measure. The predicted doom and gloom
continues to happen, whether or not people are talking about it is beyond
me. Everything I've seen so far mimics what occurs daily in TF.

Well I saw one cheater today playing sniper, in several hours of playing TF2. If others were cheating they weren't doing it well enough to actually make a notable difference.

If someone's worse than me with his cheats I'm not going to notice.

So, if they're all flocking to your servers I'd ask myself why? But thanks for providing the service.

That's about on par from my experience playing.
More often than not, if voting is enabled and they are voted off, they don't come back even though the ban typically lasts less than the round length, so they wouldn't even
need to bypass it via some clever method, they could just wait.

Today's cheater was, ironically perhaps, on a EP server that says it's running SMAC. No doubt the things SMAC does were "relatively easy to solve" too, but didn't actually
solve the problem.

Perhaps it's because it's actually a difficult set of problems to solve?

There are not, ime, significantly more cheaters now since F2P.
I've always noted, from when the game was released that it is fairly common
for people to exploit glitches that appear in the game, until they're patched out.

e.g the cl_interp changing was, with hindsight, being used by a few players
but, by the time the glitch was known there were a number of people on
the server all using it. Same with the abuse of the coaching thing.

When it's patched out they go back to being rubbish again.
But out and out cheating is and pretty much always has been rare.

Maybe they all go to the servers where they get the attention they crave?
Perhaps british or european players are not entertaining enough for them.

Both
problems are relatively easy to solve, in TF's case, passing the Steam
Guard cookie in a Steam callback would `fix` about 90% of cases (as already
proven with external ban methods).

Well, I doubt it. Maybe some change will help, but there's no magic easy fix for cheaters nor for banning people unfortunately. The internet would be a lot emptier if banning worked. (e.g SPUF wouldn't have anyone posting by now, because between the cod moderators and that Texan, they've just about banned everyone at least twice by now,
I bet he's even banned himself :) )

It's like spam, if someone has an "easy fix" they probably don't understand the problem deeply enough.

--
Dan.