The tutorial was one reason I started getting interested. It is pretty
similar. As far as integrating with the User model, that also looked
like a good fit. Since it's in-house, I have the luxury of using
Active Directory (LDAP) for sign-in, and once I know who's out there,
the rest should be pretty much stock Hobo, if I'm reading it
correctly. Thanks for the reassurance on HoboFields -- I'll read that
part with an eye on the alternative.

I think I'll work the tutorial after hours tonight, then decide
whether to do a Hobo-based site tomorrow. Really, I should at least
see how much capability comes right "out of the box." Then, I can
concentrate on stuff that needs tweaked. I guess I might be able to
get to a go/no-go in a day, maybe two. I can afford that, if the OOB
is as nifty as the tut indicates.

Thanks again for the evaluation and opinion!

Ron

On Apr 16, 12:02 pm, Bryan Larsen <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'd go with Hobo.  Of course, I'm biased. :)
>
> Your problem sounds like an evolution of our 
> tutorial:http://cookbook.hobocentral.net/tutorials/agility, so that will help.
>
> Hobo lets you concentrate on your Model logic and provides default
> Controllers & Views for you.  You only have to tweak to customize, and
> it sounds like you're ok with a minimum of that.
>
> The permission system also will save you a lot of time
>
> The tutorial uses HoboFields.   You probably don't want to use
> HoboFields because you already have your models.  Hobo does not
> require HoboFields, so you'll be OK.
>
> The only gotcha I see is merging your User model with the Hobo User
> model.  That should be fairly straightforward.
>
> We know the documentation is weak, but we're a friendly group here.
>
> I would suggest working through the tutorial as a first step.
>
> cheers,
> Bryan
>
> On Apr 16, 8:48 am, paron <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I am just looking for opinions, here. I have until June 1st to get an
> > application on-line, or they will burn my house down.
>
> > I have to write an application with 15 related tables, which already
> > exist. Appearance is second to ease of use, since it is strictly in-
> > house. The application is a time tracker for projects -- but our
> > projects consist of overlapping subprojects broken up geopolitically
> > or by funding sources, assigned across in-house and contractor
> > providers. We need to be able to retrieve reports by geopolitical
> > entity, or by funding groups, or by project, or by contractor,
> > or . . . There are four user roles -- Project Manager, Group Leader,
> > Producer and Administrator (the $ folks.) with different permissions.
>
> > Further background: I've used Rails since the 1.2 release, IIRC. I
> > guess I'm solid, but not flashy. If the documentation were more
> > comprehensive, I'd probably be a little more comfortable switching,
> > but . . .
>
> > Your opinions as people who've already climbed the Rails-to-Hobo
> > learning curve sure would help me make up my mind. I am especially
> > concerned about the fact that my tables already exist -- does Hobo
> > depend on a blank slate? Do I stand a better chance of keeping my job
> > by coding my brains out in Rails, or by learning Hobo and then coding
> > my brains out in that? Will Hobo add enough to my coding speed to pay
> > back the learning curve?
>
> > Ron
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hobo 
Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/hobousers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to