Hi all,

Finally I have completed my DRYML tracing project. The first alpha is
now released!

http://github.com/kristianmandrup/trace_hobo

This is a complete Hobo project ready to be run as is. It is currently
setup in lib/init.rb and generates a html trace result in /log/html/
dryml_trace.html

Currently "dryml tracer" is implemented as a library called
rails_trace_utils which is placed in the /lib folder of a hobo
project.

The next step is to extract the whole thing into a reusable gem. The
project "trace_util" can also be found on my github. It can be used to
trace any Ruby code in general. Check out the README for instructions
of how to use it (might be outdated/unclear in a few places?) and also
the test_*.rb files, fx test_filters.rb.

Right now the project is included using a require statement from
within environment.rb
require 'init'

I know, this is a no-no. But again, that's why its still ALPHA. Still
the main functionality is demonstrated and it should be smooth sailing
from here... I plan to host the gems on gemcutter and build the gem
using jeweler.

If you try it out,  please submit any suggestions, bug reports etc.
I'm sorry to say I didn't develop this using pure TDD, I'm sure that
would have saved me a lot of time and troubles. I learned a lot about
coding in ruby in general however... but still lots to learn :)

For now, DRYML specific appenders are meant to be added as custom
appenders. Currently these should be placed in /libs/dryml_appenders/.
This will be refactored as I develop the gem and refactor.

The lib/dryml_trace_rules.rb is used from within lib/init.rb to
attempt to indicate method tiers or categories within each DRYML
class, such as core methods, template specific methods etc.

Feel free to refactor/restructure the code as you see fit (or kindly
suggest fixes/improvements!).
The TODO.txt is my todo list (also not completely up to date!). One of
my next todos will also be to facilitate construction of filters,
using some kind of DSL.

I really hope this project will help new users getting a grasp of the
internal ongoings of DRYML and even Hobo in general. When I complete
this project, during next week, I plan to move on to refactor/extend
DRYML in various ways using this tracer as a guide...

Now I'm too tired... time to rest my mind!

Have fun!

Kristian







--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hobo 
Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/hobousers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to