On Nov 14, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Mark Sobkowicz wrote:

> I'm trying to use a lifecycle, because it seems like its probably the right 
> solution, but I can't really seem to get started.   This project started with 
> the recipe tutorial in the book, but has moved on past it.   I have two 
> models:   recipe, and request.   At the moment there is no relationship 
> between them, though both belong to user.   I'd like to create a lifecycle to 
> start with a request and end up with a recipe.    When a user responds to a 
> request, it should take them to a new recipe page.  If that recipe is saved 
> (created), then the state of the request should change (:unfulfilled => 
> :fulfilled). I could make a one-to-one relationship between request and 
> recipe, though that seems strange because most requests do not yet have 
> recipes, and many recipes do not have requests.  
> 
> I could not find any examples of lifecycles in the docs where one model 
> contains the lifecycle, but another model responds to its controller events.  
>  Any ideas would be welcome.

I'm not sure the lifecycle mechanism can explicitly handle this, as it's mostly 
focused on things occurring within the context of a single model. Typically, 
one would model this with auto_actions_for and callbacks.

in RecipeController:

auto_actions_for :request, [:new, :create]

and have Recipe belongs_to :request

One important note: naming a model Request is going to cause "interesting" 
things to happen in the controller, as @request is already used (at least in 
Rails 2.3). It might be a good idea to name the model more specifically...

--Matt Jones

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hobo 
Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/hobousers?hl=en.

Reply via email to