I had some more time to wrestle with this tonight, and got stuck in Dryml 
again.   I really want to understand it.  I wanted to have a link from my 
recipe_request show page (I replaced the "request" model with "recipe_request") 
that created a new recipe and passed in the id of the recipe_request.   This 
will allow me to destroy the recipe request after the recipe is saved.   It 
also allows the recipe_request title to appear pre-pasted in the new recipe 
form.

I tried stuff like:

<a with="&Recipe" action="new" param="&this.id">I have it</a><br/>  

in the show page Recipe Request, but this did not pass the id.

I did it with straight erb - my link is 

<%= link_to "without dryml", :controller => :recipes, :action => :new, :id => 
@recipe_request.id %>
                                
and my recipe new controller is:

def new
    hobo_new
    if params[:id] then
      @recipe_request = RecipeRequest.find(params[:id])
      @recipe.title = @recipe_request.title
    end
  end

I would love to learn the Dryml way to do this.  







On Nov 14, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Matt Jones wrote:

>> I'm trying to use a lifecycle, because it seems like its probably the right 
>> solution, but I can't really seem to get started.   This project started 
>> with the recipe tutorial in the book, but has moved on past it.   I have two 
>> models:   recipe, and request.   At the moment there is no relationship 
>> between them, though both belong to user.   I'd like to create a lifecycle 
>> to start with a request and end up with a recipe.    When a user responds to 
>> a request, it should take them to a new recipe page.  If that recipe is 
>> saved (created), then the state of the request should change (:unfulfilled 
>> => :fulfilled). I could make a one-to-one relationship between request and 
>> recipe, though that seems strange because most requests do not yet have 
>> recipes, and many recipes do not have requests.  
>> 
>> I could not find any examples of lifecycles in the docs where one model 
>> contains the lifecycle, but another model responds to its controller events. 
>>   Any ideas would be welcome.
> 
> I'm not sure the lifecycle mechanism can explicitly handle this, as it's 
> mostly focused on things occurring within the context of a single model. 
> Typically, one would model this with auto_actions_for and callbacks.
> 
> in RecipeController:
> 
> auto_actions_for :request, [:new, :create]
> 
> and have Recipe belongs_to :request
> 
> One important note: naming a model Request is going to cause "interesting" 
> things to happen in the controller, as @request is already used (at least in 
> Rails 2.3). It might be a good idea to name the model more specifically...
> 
> --Matt Jones

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hobo 
Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/hobousers?hl=en.

Reply via email to