On Aug 7, 2011, at 6:16 AM, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:

> Looks obvious, but is it?
>
> In one hand, we want the capability to reach anywhere we're allowed to from
> home. OTOH, if anything in my home is reachable from anywhere, we are back to
> the firewall paradigm.

I want my mobile phone to connect to my home NAS from anywhere without
explicitly poking a hole in a firewall.  It's not so much an inside versus
outside issue; it's about ensuring that the devices are trusted to conform to a
particular policy prior to establishing a connection.  I think this generally
requires manual association by the user, such as in a pairing ceremony with
mutual key signing.  In general, this can't be made "plug and play" because the
networks that are used might contain uninvited hardware or software.

> There is an alternate model based on L3 overlays that was presented in
> various places under names such as route projection, community  of interest
> or on-demand VPNs.

> That model forms dynamic overlays that act as L3 VLANs. Prefixes are no more
> injected in the main infrastructure but only projected within the overlay.
> This allows the model to scale with good mobility properties since an overlay
> separates the locator and the identifier, which BTW can be of different
> Address Families.

Protocols for securely associating devices seems to be the place to start,
along with default policies for ACLs, etc.

Mark