On Mar 10, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Tim Chown wrote:

> It's good to see some traction in service discovery and naming.
>
> We also have a fifth area, security.  The text as it stands says a few
> things that apply to this area, e.g.
>
> a) An assumption of "Simple Security" with default deny on the CER.
>    This implies PCP or uPnP to support punching holes.  The text
>     also talks about addressability vs reachability.

> d) Mention of "Advanced Security", which talks about the ability to
>     install 3rd party policies.  Some have suggested removing this
>     from the initial homenet spec.

One of these days I'll figure out what is "advanced" about "advanced security".
I think the point of interest is that it can be expected to not be maintained
(how many people maintain their norton-or-whatever-firewall contracts?) and
will therefore allow a lot of stuff through.

I will be doing a talk in opsawg trying to make the firewall story a little
less "I don't like this and I do like that", more about what a firewall does
and doesn't do and what models one might consider - at least three of them. If
there is interest in homenet, I could comment on that discussion.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-opsawg-firewalls
  "On Firewalls in Internet Security", Fred Baker, 20-Jan-12