Op 15 nov. 2012, om 16:15 heeft Mikael Abrahamsson het volgende geschreven:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, Ole Trøan wrote:
>
>>> Or am I missing things again?
>>
>> no, this is pretty much what we imagined, and what Markus has implemented
>> and showed at the IETF. the hosts would still do better if they support rule
>> 5.5 when directly connected to the exits.
>
> Absolutely, 5.5 is a plus and gives one less hop in the path, but at least
> the packet will be ultimately delivered to its final destination.
>
> So with the above "pretty much what we have imagined", is there consensus
> that this is the way to go, or this is still being debated?

Step 5.5 is half a solution.

Smarter hosts would make usage of more information, e.g. prefer a better path.
BRDP makes such information available (again, no code yet). This is the
superseded rule 8: when host knows better, it makes more sensible decisions.
RFC 6724 page 13:

                                     For example, if the implementation
   somehow knows which source address will result in the "best"
   communications performance.

Remark on ICMP Redirect: when router forwards a packet back to a better
first-hop, based on routing on source address, it MUST NOT send a redirect. If
it would, it could influence first-hop for other source prefixes. That gets
messy.

Teco