Whether or not you do leap of faith, certificates _do_ provide extra value.

- you can produce them/validate via (local / cloudy) CA (which may also imply
authorization in addition to authentication, or not)

- you can have them from hardware (which makes producing spurious ones much
harder, assuming the hardware certificates in and of themselves are
authenticable)

whether your authorization policy is leap of faithy, or strict ’these are the
authorized CAs/individual certs’, there is no way to express same things with
raw public keys (or you wind up with new X509, which is in nobody’s best
interest).

That said, I think there is probably room for both PSK-based and some PKI-based
solution here, but I do not believe that much in raw public keys any more.

Cheers,

-Markus