On Sep 18, 2014, at 11:46 AM, Rene Struik <rstruik....@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that the cryptographic literature needs to be rewritten now ...
>
> ==
> Anything you can do with a cert, you can do with raw public keys, and you
> don't need CA's. See RFC4871 for an example.
I would have thought it was the opposite:
anything you can do with raw keys you can do with certificates.

Raw keys cannot prove an assertion that a certain claimed name is bound to a
certain key. In the case of self-signed certs you only get the advantages of
having a data structure and code that is understood and well vetted, but with
either a PKI or a web of trust you do get benefits from using Certs. You also
get usage policy restrictions, which cannot be expressed with raw keys.