On Sep 18, 2014, at 4:27 AM, STARK, BARBARA H <bs7...@att.com> wrote:
> UPnP Device Protection uses X.509 certificates (which can be self-signed, and
> in order not to assume a WAN connection, really should be self-signed) and
> TLS.

I think that something like this, in combination with the promiscuous
registration mechanism that I think Michael described earlier, would do the
trick.   It's not clear that we need X.509 certs, since I have trouble
imagining that the keys these devices have would ever be signed by a CA.   A
bare key might be plenty.   But I think this is a better option than trying to
shoehorn this functionality into IPsec, which was designed for a _very_
different security context.