On Oct 20, 2014, at 2:00 PM, James Woodyatt <j...@nestlabs.com> wrote:
> Okay... except it seems you're admitting that my scenario where a simple
> reconfiguration of a network topology, e.g. one caused by an intermittent RF
> interference on an unlicensed band of the radio spectrum, would result in a
> fully regular and normalized generation of a ULA prefix that would
> subsequently be deprecated on network rejoin and subsequently deprecated
> again. This could happen several times per hour, right?

No, if it's done right the network would have to be partitioned for on the
order of a week or two before the new ULA would be generated.

>> This is a bit of a straw man (see previous comment).   I think trying to
>> keep a permanent ULA is a good thing.   We can't always succeed, but we can
>> make the set of circumstances under which we fail as small as possible.
>> This is in contrast to what you are proposing, which is that we essentially
>> set out to fail, and see deprecation events whenever the upstream network
>> goes down.
>>
> I certainly would agree with your observation that I don't see keeping a
> permanent ULA as a good thing in itself. I keep asking why that would be
> beneficial, and the answers continue to leave me scratching my head. Please
> count me as one of the people here who has read Brian Carpenter's rant in
> SIGCOMM about IP Addresses Considered Harmful, and who generally agrees. I'm
> uncomfortable trying too hard to achieve some partial and dubious success at
> establishing a persistent ULA prefix in the home network. I think we should
> put our efforts more into making persistent the local namespace for service
> registration and discovery.

The reason I think it's beneficial is that it reduces to the minimum the number
of instances where a long-lived connection will have to be broken because of a
renumbering event.   I don't think we can reduce that number to zero, but I
think we can make it a lot less likely than it would be if we renumber every
time the upstream link goes away.