Juliusz Chroboczek <j...@pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
    >>> - how does software running on my laptop, which just connected to an
    >>> unknown network, find out what is the local translation of "home"?

    >> It doesn't. It uses HNCP.

    > Please describe exactly how my laptop (which doesn't run HNCP) finds
    > out the right domain.  Please describe how an HNCP router that joins an

I think that it's in the DHCP.  You could ignore it.
DHCP/SearchPath is fraught with issues.

AFAIK, ".local" is not used on the wire with mDNS.
The .local is a clue from the end-user to the resolver that you should
use mDNS to resolve the name.

But, we aren't talking about mDNS, we are talking about names which are
resolved using standard DNS mechanisms, probably via search-path like thing,
which are split-horizon DNS and with return (mostly) ULA IPv6 names for parts
which are (possibly) more than one hop away.

We do need a special name with special treatment (whether it is localized or
not) because we need to teach tools like SSH and HTTPS that the name
"printer.home" can not be permanently bound to the same public key all the
time.  In particular, it needs to be qualified by the attachment point
(probably DHCP Server's DUID is best is available).

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [