On 01/06/2018 00:07, David R. Oran wrote:

>>> Let me rephrase it:
>>>
>>> « For her birthday, I bought my girlfriend the nice printer she's
>>> been
>>>   wanting.  The network named it "Printer7839cf31".  Since I love my
>>>   girlfriend, I renamed it to "Mathilda's printer".  Now she can no
>>> longer
>>>   print. »

>>> (Giggle.)
>>
>> We'll see. As it says in every good shop: the customer is always
>> right.
>>
> Apple doesn’t think so and it may at least partially account for the
> fact that their products successfully auto-configure way more frequently
> than those of the competition.

I'm not sure that's as true as it used to be; my recent experiences with
attaching off-the-shelf printers to another o/s have been positive. However,
that's with very simple network topology.

> If there’s a lesson to be learned from this example it’s that either
> you don’t allow automatically-named things to change their names, or
> if you provide a user-friendly feature to change the name it “just
> works” and doesn’t break the associated function. I guess this means
> that if you rely on DNS to discover and use names, then you provide an
> update API and not allow “write-behind” to config files (if they
> exist in the first place).

I agree. Without the ability for users to attach names of their choice
(in scripts of their choice) to devices, there will be millions of
unhappy users.

> Now, if the name-changing auto-configuration functions are broken, then
> either there has to be a way to diagnose it (maybe only by the people
> who sold you the printer) and a way to revert to the prior
> configuration. That diagnostic function does in my view not have to be
> something easily done by the home user.

Are you sure? The people who sell you printers today operate on very
tight profit margins. In practice, I don't think expert diagnosis is
a realistic expectation.

Regards
    Brian