Hey Harry! You read my mind. Let's try without validation.
I'm pretty sure that the validation feature can be re-added in a near future. We just need to find a way to have something easy to understand for the end user. And I am convinced that if it's simple for the end-user it will not require to much effort to implement. For the most motivated of us, I think that UI mockups are a neat way to brainstorm and share ideas. Pierre On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Harry Wood <[email protected]> wrote: > Seems people aren't sure about the idea of removing the validation step, > but I think it's good idea. I'm sure Pierre is suggesting this change > having looked quite carefully at the way people are using the task manager > system. > > The idea of validation was to allow pro-mappers to coordinate the process > of double-checking over the area of a whole job, without too much > duplication of that double-checking effort, but how many whole jobs has > this happened on? It's easy to see the validation step has not been adopted > much. Either we don't have many pro-mappers with confidence to validate, or > they're not that interested in doing validation (perhaps because we have a > steady flow of new jobs work on) > > And the thing which is always easy to overlook, the feature comes at a > cost. It makes the system that little bit more complex to understand. > > I like the idea of trying without validation. A compromise might be to > have it as some sort of hidden feature, but then that's effort to develop > something which few users see. > > Harry > > ________________________________ > From: Pierre GIRAUD <[email protected]> > To: HOT Openstreetmap <[email protected]> > Sent: Sunday, 2 February 2014, 18:46 > Subject: [HOT] Tech WG - tasking manager - workflow branch > > > > Hi all, > > It's been a while now that I've started working on a "workflow" branch > (more than a year ago). The main purpose of this development was to improve > the user experience by simplifying the interface a bit. > > This branch is the one used for the instance working at > http://tasks2.hotosm.org. > > I'm now confident and I think that it's ready. I would now like to merge > the work into the master branch and update the main instance. It will also > eventually allow us to remove this second instance. I will do my best to > retrieve the data as well. > > For those who don't know yet, in addition to user interface modification, > the main enhancement is deep linking ie. links to tasks in a read only > mode. This allow users to share a link to the task they are working on for > example. > I also got rid of the "validation" process because it has been the source > of problems recently. Let's rethink this feature if we really need it. > People still can invalidate tasks though. > > If no one is fiercely against i, I'll do the merge later this week. > > This will help me give an answer to Mikel and others who were asking me > how much work is left to get v1 functionnalities in v2. > > Regards, > Pierre > > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------- > | Pierre GIRAUD > ------------------------------------------------------------- > _______________________________________________ > HOT mailing list > [email protected] > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot > -- ------------------------------------------------------------- | Pierre GIRAUD -------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________ HOT mailing list [email protected] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
