On Thursday 06 April 2006 18:05, Suffield, David wrote:
> Thanks for your FreeBSD work I will take a look at your patches and
> see if we can get them in up-stream. I was hoping somebody would
> help us on the libusb extensions for FreeBSD. I will be at OSDL
> Printer Summit next week, so I won't be able to look at your work
> for 1-2 weeks.
>
> You should be able to run the daemons as root or user. We usually
> test as root, but I believe Debian and Ubuntu run as user.
I've made several updates and have posted them on a small howto page.
http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip.php

The current port skeleton on that page should be included into the
FreeBSD ports tree within the next day or two.  This will open up
hplip to general wide scale usage on FreeBSD.  I've marked myself as
the port maintainer.  Just for your reference the responsibilities
this entails is described at the following page:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributing-ports/maintain-port.html

The port runs hpiod as the hplip user and hpssd as the nobody user.
This seems to work fine.

Let me know when you've had a chance to look at the patches in the
port skeleton and the configure and Makefile.in sed replacing in the
port skeleton Makefile.