I have done more tests:

The problem is independent of the color mode (Lineart, Gray, Color), the
compression mode (JPEG, None), and the connection type (USB, network).
So it is enough if you can reach a device via the network.

The problem only occurs if the number of pages to scan is > 1 (field in
the upper left of the main window of xsane).

It occurs when the scanner runs out of pages.

Either when the number of pages is > 1 and no page is in the ADF, so
that the scanner scans from the glass. It scans the one page on the
glass and crashes afterwards (probably when trying to scan the second page).

Or when the number of pages in the ADF is smaller than the number of
pages requested. Then it crashes after scanning the last page in the ADF.

If the number of requested pages is 1 or if the ADF contains at least
the requested number of pages, there is no crash.

The expected behaviour would be a window popping up asking the user for
feeding more pages, either putting them into the ADF, or changing the
page on the glass. If this is not possible changes in xsane, then at
least there should be an error state reported back to xsane telling that
the job cannot be completed due to lack of pages available in the scanner.

When I reported the bug in the first place I did not see that I had the
number of requested pages standing on 4 and not on 1.

    Till