I have attached the output of both hplip versions. The strange thing is that
using hplip 1.6.10 it says:
"'hpaio' in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'...
--> OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is not properly set up."
And in 1.7.3 it just says:
"--> OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is properly set up."

This is really odd, because this tells me that when the hpaio backend is not
properly set up everything works as I would expect it to work... And no, I
do not use hplip on every computer on the net, just on the server. I just
want to set the "CUPS_SERVER" environment variable and configure the
"net"-backend of sane in order to access the Photosmart.
And yes, I have configured the printer using hp-setup.

Dan