Hey Daniel,

Can you tell me the what configuration you are trying to accomplish?

Scanning over the network with the Photosmart C5180 does work with HPLIP.
For the scanning to function on each computer you will have to install hplip
on each system because the scanning feature requires that hplip be installed
to function.

The scanning will not function on a system that does not have hplip
installed..

On 4/12/07, Daniel Klaffenbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Isn't there anybody who could possibly help me out of this?

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 23:42:16 you wrote:
> > I have attached the output of both hplip versions. The strange thing
is
> > that using hplip 1.6.10 it says:
> > "'hpaio' in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'...
> > --> OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is not properly set up."
> > And in 1.7.3 it just says:
> > "--> OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is properly set up."
>
> This was a bug in pre-1.7.3 - it reported it "not" setup when it
actually
> was.
>
> -Don

Well, then it tells me that sane is set up correctly in both cases (and
scanimage -L works in both cases locally), but it also tells me that there
has to be something wrong in 1.7.3 with providing scanner sharing using
sane
over the network.

Again: hplip is only supposed to be on the server. Then I start "saned" on
the
server which is supposed to provide access to the locally connected
scanners
(like the C5180) over the network. This is because I don't want to install
hplip on every single computer I want to scan from.

Please give me some hints how to solve this. I guess it's a bug in hplip.
Is
there a way I can debug this so you can fix it in future releases?

Thank you,
Dan

> This is really odd, because this tells me that when the hpaio backend is
> not
>
> > properly set up everything works as I would expect it to work... And
no,
> > I do not use hplip on every computer on the net, just on the server. I
> > just want to set the "CUPS_SERVER" environment variable and configure
the
> > "net"-backend of sane in order to access the Photosmart.
> > And yes, I have configured the printer using hp-setup.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > 2007/4/10, Aaron < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > I just tested a Photosmart C5180 over the network with ubuntu and it
> > > works great.
> > >
> > > Have you installed hplip on the other networked computers?  Can you
run
> > > hp-check and post the output?  Are you configuring the printer using
> > > hp-setup?

> > > On 4/10/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Debian

I don't care, I'm still free.  You can't take the sky from me. - "Firefly"
-
Ubuntu User: #11105
Ubuntu Linux http://ubuntulinux.org