Here's a reply I gave to the same question about the opencv project a few weeks ago, note that getting data from a camera strictly speaking isn't really a part of opencv core, but I think it's a useful exercise in terms of understanding the threading issues and putting together a nifty demo

Task #8 in this list would be to create a nice QtDemo that can go in our examples folder and will build when the user asks for Qt/OpenCV support

JB

Just an update on the project from my ‘wish list’

Task #1 : have a lookm at opencv and how the threading backends are implemented

Task #2: Get a good understanding of the HPX threading framework. Make sure you appreciate the difference between kernel level threads and lightweight HPX threads. Reading from a webcam or other device might make low level calls that need to be done on a kernel thread rather than an hpx worker/task thread.

Task #3: Implement an HPX backend to replace OpenMP/TBB in openCV and test out standard opencv algorithms

Task #4: make sure that the threading implementation doesn’t violate the terms of #2 and that hpc threads are not blocking in wait staes whilst polling for camera/image data

Task #5: understand that HPX supports thread pools and we can create a custom thread for any opencv camera poll work so that the problems I just alluded to do not happen

Task #6: Together a simple Qt demo with a GUI that displays images in a nice GUI window and overlays some image processing data etc. I have an application I wrote for monitoring wildlife in my garden that can be adapted for this - it tracks movement by doing pixel comparisons after applying  bunch of filters to the webcam images - when movement is detected, it starts recording so I can see what happened whilst I was asleep etc (infra-red cameras for night vision).

Task #7: Understand that Qt GUI threads can’t always be run on hpx task threads and/or tht Qt guis are not generally thread safe and we may need a special thread for GUI updates (or careful use of Qt synchronization), so a thread pool dedicated for that might/would be a good idea.

Task #0 - learn as much as you can about all of the above before gsoc starts and write a decent proposal “in your own words” that describes how you plan to do the above (and insert extra tasks because I wrote  this fast and skipped lots of details).

Feel free to ask questions on IRC or here - I’ll update the task list above if I think of more - and note that #1-#5 are the main essentials and #6-#7 are bonus work for anyone who makes good progress on the first tasks.

JB