Below is an email I received from a co-worker:
The problem right now is that it's removing the database files when you run htdig. Check the documentation at www.htdig.org, specifically about the configuration, to see how to modify /htdig/conf/htdig.conf to have it use temporary files while indexing (running htdig)"

Recently, we moved to a new server, and I reinstalled htdig on that new server. After much trial and travail, I got the search engine working, the right header and footer specified etc., etc.

A couple days ago, a co-worker discovered that htdig was not automatically reindexing itself - result: new pages weren't in the search database. So he went to xxxxxxxx/cgi- bin/rundig  and ran the indexer - it took 30-60 minutes to reindex, during which time the search engine didn't work.
Questions:
1) Are we right in the assumptions we're making above (the temp files are being destroyed and are thus not available during indexing) and
2) if so, how do I change the conf file so that the temporary files will be available to the search engine during indexing - - so that the search engine will still work during indexing?
Thanks in advance for any advice. Much appreciated.
Steve Murray