--==**I'm doing my best not to start shouting**==--

George is NOT having a swap space, or RAM limitation problems.
His project has some 24 images.

Hugin calls his enblend step with:

  enblend --compression NONE -v --fine-mask --fine-mask -w \
  -f12000x6000 -o t3_exposure_00.tif t3_exposure_layers_0000.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0001.tif t3_exposure_layers_0002.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0003.tif t3_exposure_layers_0004.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0005.tif t3_exposure_layers_0006.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0007.tif t3_exposure_layers_0008.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0009.tif t3_exposure_layers_0010.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0011.tif t3_exposure_layers_0012.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0013.tif t3_exposure_layers_0014.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0015.tif t3_exposure_layers_0016.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0017.tif t3_exposure_layers_0018.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0019.tif t3_exposure_layers_0020.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0024.tif t3_exposure_layers_0025.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0026.tif

and then, after a few hours of crunching (strongly depending on the
amount of RAM you have) enblend crashes while processing *_0025.tif

However, if you skip loading and blending of EVERYTHING before
*_0024.tif and try to blend only '24 and '25, the exact same crash
happens.

/this/ is the commandline I'm currently using to reproduce george's
crash:

  enblend --compression NONE -v --fine-mask --fine-mask -w \
  -f12000x6000 -o t3_exposure_00.tif t3_exposure_layers_0024.tif \
  t3_exposure_layers_0025.tif

In a few moments you should be able to download the two required
images to reproduce this from:

        http://prive.bitwizard.nl/george_pics.tgz

the size of the file is 244Mb. (255307820 bytes)

(the upload will take another hour from now... ) (on the other hand,
this is much longer than other updates to my private site, so the
automatic upload (that runs every hour) might intervene, causing the
whole procedure to take a whopping three hours. So be it. )

I have downloaded the most recent version of enblend, and compiled it
myself. I have, before I had to do things outside my house today come
to the point where I have reduced the enblend commandline to only
those two images, and verifying that it also crashes in the same way
with my home-compiled version.

I will next enable debugging and recompile my "home built" version.
Then I'll test if it still crashes with debugging enabled. Next I will
try to trace this problem and find the bug.

What I know so far is that it is really /really/ not that enblend runs
out of memory or swap space. I really /really/ have enough of that.
So does george. Enblend tries to limit itself to using only 1G of
memory. Or something like that. When the bug hits, enblend allocates
memory until the system decides that enblend is running wild. So the
system refuses more allocation requests, and enblend then errors with:
"cannot allocate memory". But the reason it ran out of memory is not
that it needs more memory but because it ran wild.

I hope to be able to put some more time into this tomorrow.

        Roger.

--
** r.e.wo...@bitwizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **