2009/10/10 Rogier Wolff <rew-googlegro...@bitwizard.nl>

> However, if you skip loading and blending of EVERYTHING before
> *_0024.tif and try to blend only '24 and '25, the exact same crash
> happens.
>
> /this/ is the commandline I'm currently using to reproduce george's
> crash:
>
>  enblend --compression NONE -v --fine-mask --fine-mask -w \
>  -f12000x6000 -o t3_exposure_00.tif t3_exposure_layers_0024.tif \
>  t3_exposure_layers_0025.tif

*Edit:* Monday 13 October
I tried to reproduce the crash on MacOSX 10.5.8 on an Intel MacBook Pro
(where George has a MacOSX 10.4.11 PPC based G5).
In my bundles I already use the Christoph Spiel builds for enblend/enfuse
for quite some time, where you (Rogier) use the standard final release 3.2
version.
I did several tests on the complete "village hotel" set with both the
standard 3.2 versions (32bit and 64bit) as with several "Christoph Spiel"
versions. In all cases the total set crashes.
(As a side note: the 32 bit versions crash when trying to allocate more than
4 GB real+virtual memory. The 64bit version made my system crash when using
3.3GB real memory and 41+GB virtual swap area.)

Thanks to Rogier's tests we have pinpointed the problem more accurately.

In my case I used the exact same command (slightly different filenames) with
unpatcjed versions of the standard 3.2 build and the latest "Christoph
Spiel" build.

The latest Christoph Spiel build for me is (using enblend -v --version):

I did the following tests:

   - When using the 3.2 version from the command line the blending crashes.
   - The mentioned two images with the latest unpatched enblend from the
   command line doesn't crash and blends fine. Note: this is a 32bit Universal
   version.
   - I built the hugin-2009.4.0-RC1 (to be released tonight or so) with the
   latest enblend BEFORE patching. Hugin crashes again.

The weird phenomenon now is that the latest build before patching blends the
2 images correctly but still breaks on the entire set.
*Edit:* Wednesday 15 October
Christoph released his patch yesterday morning so I built that
enblend/enfuse and then built the hugin-2009.4.0-RC1 with the patched
version.

   - The 2 images test with patched enblend from the command line: it blends
   fine and delivers a blended image.
   - The complete set from Hugin2009.4.0-RC1 with the patched version: it
   still crashes enblend on the 24th image
   - The complete set from the command line with the patched version: It
   still crashes on the 24th image (using 247! distinct seams)

This also contributes to the fact that Christoph could not reproduce the
error as the later enblend builds do blend the 2 separate images correctly.
The 3 versions ( 2 unpatched, 1 patched) I tested do that for me too.

I'll try to release the hugin2009.4.0-RC1 build tonight.
As I will go on holiday this saturday I don't have time time to build a
64bit version to see how much memory enblend is trying to use. If the new
patched 64bit version uses, for example, 5GB and than finishes fine, it
means that we need to switch to 64bit builds for larger images and the user
needs to be at least on Leopard. If it still runs "into infinity" (and make
my system crash) than the issue is still not solved.

Harry