On Monday, 11 July 2011 at 23:55:25 +0100, Bruno Postle wrote:

>> I'll address the rest in answer to your other message.

Sorry for the slow response here.  My original mail messages came
through with more than 48 hours delay.  From the headers, it seems
that it was from somewhere within Google.  Hopefully this reply will
come through faster.

> The control point generators are particularly bad at matching photos
> taken at long time intervals - The changes in quality and direction
> of light are enough to throw off feature matching.  This is probably
> why Terry needed to delete a lot of 'bad' control points.

Agree, but I'm not sure that's the main problem.  I've been playing
around with these results, and I have come to the following
recognitions:

- The way Terry did it, creating the control points from the "Images"
  window, is vastly superior to the way I tried it the first time from
  the "Assistant" window.
- Some of the control points were on plants and leaves which moved
  from one photo to another.

So I thought, it's a simple set of images with some clearly defined
control points.  Let's do it manually with control points on parts of
the house and brickwork.  The result?  Worse than what Terry got!

> If your photos have different focal lengths, then you can 'unlink'
> the 'degrees of view (v)' lens parameter before optimisation.

This is the "link" box in the
 And this, I think, is part of the
question, though I didn't see any difference between linking and not
linking.

But it seems that Hugin is relying on the focal length information
from EXIF, and in the case of my camera, that information is very
inaccurate.  The focal lengths of the two images were given as 21 mm
(44.72°) and 23 mm (41.18°).  The EXIF data will report a maximum of
one focal length value between these two--maybe.  Maybe there's
nothing at all between the two values.

If Hugin is relying on this information, there's a good chance that it
will be wrong.  I suppose I could guess at closer focal length or
field of view values, but there must be a simpler way.

For the fun of it, I tried changing the focal length spec for the
second and third images.  I left the first one at 23 mm, but by
changing the focal length of the other two.  At 22.421 mm, the errors
dropped to an average of 0.3 pixel, with a maximum of 0.92 pixel.
Wonderful!

Unfortunately, the results didn't look at all wonderful.  Now all
three images have a different size.  I'm experimenting further, but
it's beginning to look as if the Hugin or the control point detectors
need to find another way of determining the relationship between the
image sizes than relying on the EXIF data.  Any thoughts?

There's more information, including images and discussion, at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary.php#D11-3 , though that doesn't
include the change of focal length.  I'm continuing to experiment.

And since I've messed it up before, you can get bigger and bigger
images of any of these by simply clicking on the image.

Greg
--
Finger g...@freebsd.org for PGP public key.
This message is digitally signed.  See