Hi Simon,

have you tried some vertical and/or horizontal lines to avoid the wrong
rotation? I sometimes have this problem and I think its usually related to
two possible reasons:

- I forgot to use horizontal and/or vertical lines to level the panorama
- I didn't set the lens correctly - I have set a fish-eye lens as
rectilinear. With this I have already spent some hours...

Besides that, I usually follow some optimization steps that I think help to
avoid those things. I know each one of us has your own recipe and many ways
can take to a good result. What I usually do is optimize the horizon ring
first, like you already did, but I also do the following optimizations:

- Position (y, p, r)
- (y, p, r, v)
- Everything without translation

And many times I finish with errors much bigger than 2 - but this can be
due to a use of a self made pano head not very well calibrated. What I do
is correct the possible errors on an image editor, for what I use GIMP.

One thing I have already noticed also, is that sometimes that spiky
starfish is not so strong, like if only the corners of the images are part
of that, and the pano stitches well.

Cheers,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
http://cartola.org/360



2011/11/14 Simonm <[email protected]>

>
>
> On Nov 12, 8:28 pm, Simonm <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Nov 12, 7:21 pm, "Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)"
> >
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Just to be sure, note that I am suggesting the 2010.4 and not the
> 2011.4
> > > version.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> This just gets stranger!
>
> You're right: I spent about 10 hours on Hugin over the week end
> altogether.
>
> 1. I downloaded 2010.4 and the OpenGL viewer doesn't crash. I can load
> my pano file, and, although all control points look fine, I can't make
> it stitch. Hugin insists on rotating several images (I get hundreds of
> control point errors larger than 2,000). So it doesn't fix my initial
> problem with the panorama (which was the reason for trying 2011.2 and
> 2011.4).
>
> 2. After about 6 hours playing about, I noticed I still had 2011.4
> (beta) on my desktop. Out of curiosity I tried to install it again,
> and this time it started up correctly! I don't know why, but it seems
> I couldn't install either 2011.2 or 2011.4 over 2011.0, but I could
> install them over 2010.4. I can't make sense of this, but 2011.4 now
> seems to load and the GUI works without issues.
>
> 3. I still cannot stitch the panorama! I tried various things:
>
>    a. resetting the orientation of images before optimizing. The
> optimizer still rotates several images.
>    b. thinning control points to try to get any equirectangular
> 360x180. I also took out points in unwanted overlaps. It didn't work.
>    c. changing the reference image (the one locked for position), in
> case the horizon was badly out.
>    d. removing the upper and lower rings to try making just a
> cylindrical pano from the middle row. It wouldn't stitch.
>    e. stripping down to just four, then two images. This wouldn't
> work either!
>        The openGL view showed circular images(!), in the right
>        relative positions but not actually stitched. Enblend produced
> an out of memory error.
>
> My next plan is to start completely from scratch with a new panorama
> control file.
>
> These images were taken using a Panosarus head with a Canon 30D and
> Sigma 12-24mm lens at 12mm. It's usually 12 images per
> ring at approx 50% overlap I've used this setup many times before, and
> with the exception that I forgot my bubble level (had to guess
> horizontal), taking this pano was no different to any other I've made
> in the past.
>
> If you try to look at the result in panorama preview, it looks like a
> spiky starfish - images warped and on top of each other
>
> I can only think of two possible reasons why Hugin might have
> problems:
>
>  1. The image has a *lot* of similar-looking detail - shelves full of
> pharmacy products.
>  2. I forgot to correct chromatic aberration in outputting from
> Bibble Pro. It's noticeable at 200% in Hugin.
>
> The rotation of images when I run the optimizer I cannot explain. This
> is with >10 hand-picked control points, widely spaced, including one
> or more line pairs defined. There shouldn't be a 'second solution' to
> the equation!
>
> Otherwise, although I've now got 2011.4 working, I am completely
> baffled as to why this won't stitch at all.
>
> If you've seen similar problems, I really would appreciate any
> advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Simonm.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
> A list of frequently asked questions is available at:
> http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected]
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: 
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx

Reply via email to