On 9 Feb., 15:44, Robert Krawitz <r...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In regards focal length of source image: this would have been very
> useful to me when preparing this
> image:http://rlk.smugmug.com/Other/Landscapes/4851912_XB4SmT#!i=450968307&k...
> (read the writeup)

This sounds very familiar to me. I have developed a few tricks to deal
with multi-lens panoramas. The first thing you need is lots, and I
mean lots of good control points. That's why I wrote the woa plugin,
which warps the images, looks for CPs and then unwarps their
coordinates. This usually gives me such an even spread and good
quality of CPs, even between images from different lenses, that the
optimizer produces very good results. The next plugin which I find
very useful is the crop-cp plugin, which looks at the crop area of the
panorama (as set in the preview) and throws out all CPs either inside
or outside it. This allows me to throw out all CPs which aren't really
crucial for the match (forground, for example - let the stitcher deal
with it best it can). Once I've lots of CPs in useful places left, I
optimize for 'everything but translation' and also do a photometric
optimization. Then I can proceed to stitch each set of images
separately, and I have to do the final composition in another tool, as
well. Lots of work, but, for example in mountaintop 360 degree
panoramas, the extra crispness around the horizon can be worth it.

BTW - a panorama head is a good thing - if most of my photography
wasn't done somewhere in the mountains I'd sure carry on all the time,
and they aren't even dear. I've built my own which was fun and it does
the trick, but out in the wild I rely on a walking stick and a
technique I've evolved over time which works well enough for natural
subjects.

Having tools like enfuse deal with a situation like the one you
describe would be very welcome, hence my proposal. Especially the
layering is annoying for me, because in cinepaint I usually get
annoyed very quickly by how awkward everything is (maybe I've just not
done it enough...), the gimp only does 8 bits, digiKam just isn't
quite there yet and I can't accustom myself to fotoxx either... but at
least on Linux I was able write the plugin interface and the plugins I
need most.

Kay