On 28 November 2012 12:10, Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)
<cartol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Going back to your specific example, I don't think 9mm will have a much
> narrow angle than an 8mm lens. Do you have their fov to compare? Probably
> you will use the same number of images to stitch and will have almost the
> same final image size.

Having shot myself in the past with a 10mm rectilinear lens (Sigma
10-20mm) and a 10mm fisheye (Tokina 10-17mm) I can tell you that the
difference in hfov is very noticeable. It's basically the difference
between 2 rows of 8 shots, nadir, zenith (so 18 shots total) and 6
shots around, nadir, zenith (maybe two, I don't remember right now) so
8 oder 9 shots in total.

You can actually enter the numbers in hugin to get an estimate.
Assuming crop factor 2 9 mm rectilinear yields 90° hfov while 8 mm
circular fisheye yields about 130° hfov.

Back to the original question:
For me the step from a wide angle rectilinear to a fisheye was very
well worth doing. The noticable but bearable quality difference is
outweighted by the much easier stitching with the lower number of
shots, especially so for 360x180s.

Cheers,
Felix