2012/11/29 Greg 'groggy' Lehey <groog...@gmail.com>

> Partially.  The 9 mm has:
>
> Horizontal FOV:                  87.73°
> Diagonal FOV:                   100.49°
> Vertical FOV:                    71.68°
>
> I don't have a formula for fisheyes, so I can't give the output of my
> program, but I'm told that it has 180° on the diagonal.  Being a
> fisheye, this *should* mean (on a 4:3 aspect ratio) a horizontal FOV
> of 144° and a vertical FOV of 108°.  That's a long way from the 9 mm.

There can indeed be a big difference between a 9mm rectilinear lens and an
8mm fisheye lens, even if 9 doesn't sound that far from 8. It's also
possible to have fisheyes from different vendors with different mm, even if
they are all fullframe or circular.

> I also get the same results whether I select "full frame fisheye" or
> "circular fisheye".  What's the difference?

I find it weird that it gives the same result...

A fullframe fisheye gives you an image corresponding to the biggest
rectangle (because your sensor is a rectangle) in a circle, that's why the
diagonals are 180°, but horizontal and especially vertical won't be as much.

A circular fisheye will give you the biggest circle on your rectangular
sensor. So you'll see a circular image with 180° in all directions, but
around that circle you'll have black part, because no light ended up on
those parts of the sensor.

Theoritically, with a circular fisheye, you could only need 2 pictures,
while with a fullframe you'd need a few more.