Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2013 13:32:38 UTC+1 schrieb Bruno Postle:
> Merging nona with enblend/multiblend. Currently we remap each photo
> with nona, then enblend/enfuse splits these remapped images into
> multilevel pyramids, joins them into a single pyramid which is then
> reassembled into a final image.

        I'm against this proposal and this for
several reasons.

> ...and I suspect doing it like this
> would avoid the nasty 'whorl' artefacts we get at the zenith/nadir
> (this assumption needs testing).

        AFAICT, your whorl comes from Enblend
treating images in an Euclidean coordinate
system.  The tricks we play with the Born-von
Karman cyclic boundaries work well along a
single dimension, but not simultaneously on two.
As we all know, E^2 is only locally isomorphic
to S^2.

So, we gain nothing here by a merge with nona.

> The disadvantage is that is wouldn't
> be possible to optimise the seam position as we currently do with
> enblend.

        Rosomack is currently working on a final
version of the GraphCut algorithm, a former GSoC
project.  I would not allow his efforts to be
neutralized.

Some objections, which come in mind:

(1) Tried-and-true UN*X maxim: one task one tool.

    This gives the users the freedom of choice:
    Enblend or Multiblend or whatever they want,
    Nona as remapper or whatever desired.

    Being able to check the remapped images
    piecemeal also is an important advantage.
    We would have to code it if it was not
    there.

(2) Enblend is already complicated enough,
    presumably Multiblend won't be much simpler
    when as mature or feature-loaden.  Why, the
    hack should we merge two (or more) intricate
    software packages into a true monstrosity?
    Who will be able to maintain it?  You?

/cls