What is the correct way to set stacks from the command line? I have a
script that reads a pto file looks at the overlap and if any images
overlaps too much it tries to stack them.(it makes it easier for me to set
masks, if they are stacked, but there can be some movement between them so
I wish to have hugin arrange each one.)

I have been trying to use
pto_lensstack --change-stack i1=0 input.pto

It does work in that it changes the stack of an image, but I have yet to
figure out how to tell it which stack it is going to. The first time I call
it I can generally get right. After the first call I often get the target
stack wrong as the target seems to change as I set stacks.

Question 2 is there a way to set the stacks, without linking the position
variables? I could do the above way then unlink them, but that seems a
waste as I would then need to re optimize image positions.

Question 3, what is j mean on the i lines of a pto file?
i w3456 h5184 f10 v=0 Ra=0 Rb=0 Rc=0 Rd=0 Re=0 Eev13.580494060253 Er1 Eb1 r0
.795541422974953 p9.80002443579522 y176.612097040948 TrX0 TrY0 TrZ0 j=0 a=0
b=0 c=0 d=0 e=0 g=0 t=0 Va=0 Vb=0 Vc=0 Vd=0 Vx=0 Vy=0  Vm5 n
"long_beach0033.TIF"

I know what all of the other things do, but have not been able to find any
documentation on j. The j=0 in that last one seems to be the thing that
makes this image stack with the first without messing up the positions. If
true how does a person set it and if I can is there a reliable way to
figure out where to set the stack to.(It would be real nice if I could tell
it stack image a to have the same stack number as image b, without me
having to know what stack b already is in, as that appears to be a moving
target)

All thought and comments welcome,

Thanks,
Brandon