Hi Michael,

On 04/26/2016 02:15 PM, Michael Perryman wrote:
> I am trying to use Hugin to "align" (optimise) stereo pairs. I have
> followed the stereo tutorial at:
> http://vndlinuxphoto.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/stereo-image-alignment-in-hugin.html
> which works fine in *command line mode*. But it does not give me full
> control of the tuning options.

The tutorial is a bit outdated. Since then I found that it is better to
optimize camera shift (-x option) instead of image center (-i option).

> So I have been trying to do the alignment from the GUI, without success. I
> attach two screenshots showing my attempt.
>
> fig1.png shows my "photo" panel, with my "feature matching" and "optimise"
> options at the bottom. I have created a "Control Point Detection" mode
> which I have labelled "perryman-stereo" with the arguments shown in the
> insets.
>
> fig2.png shows 21 control points that I have added manually to both the
> left and right images. Following the tutorial, all are added as "Horizontal
> Lines", except for one (#11) which I have designated as "normal" (to define
> the stereo screen plane). The "optimiser" result is shown in the inset. It
> shows very large distances, standard deviations, and maximum. I understand
> that I can iterate (add, delete, or tune) the control points, but this has
> little effect on the overall result.
>
> I suspect that I have not set up the required parameters for the GUI in the
> correct way (e.g. the CPD) for these stereo alignments.

Control Point Detection setting has no effect if you created the points
manually.

>From the screenshot it seems that you left the optimized parameters on
the default "Positions". You should set it to "Custom parameters", go to
the optimizer tab and enable optimization of yaw, pitch, roll and X on
the second image.

Vladimir

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/571F798C.5000604%40suse.cz.