On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 at 21:53:43 -0400, Sean Greenslade wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 09:56:08AM +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 at 11:47:18 -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
>>> FYI- I killed hugin with the notice that I was running out of space and:
>>> $ df /
>>> Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
>>> /dev/sdb1       23638908 14634544   7780532  66% /
>>
>> This would suggest that you have used up nearly 8 GB of storage for
>> your panorama.  That seems excessive.  Is it really that big?
>
> That's not an unreasonable number. Hugin uses uncompressed TIFFs as
> intermediary files, so a full sphere at normal SLR focal lengths could
> have 30-60 intermediary files. Even more if you do exposure stacks. I
> routinely exceeded my 16 GiB of RAM doing 30000x15000 px 3-stack blends.

Yes, but this isn't the sort of thing you do when you start off.  I've
just checked and discovered two things:

1.  On a 15136x7568 pano with 20 components (the largest I do), the
    intermediate files  took up 550 MB.  It's not clear that your
    intermediate files are larger, since there are more of them, but
    that could easily mean 2 GB in your scenario.

    During stitching, the enblend image grew to about 8 GB, and I
    could easily see you heading over the 16 GB in your scenario.  But
    that's (virtual) memory, not disk space.

    At the end of stitching, total disk space (intermediate and final
    image) grew to about 800 GB.

2.  How much space was used in /tmp or /var/tmp?  None at all!  I
    don't know where I got the idea that the intermediate files go to
    /tmp.  So the question remains: what is getting written to the
    root file system in Michael's scenario?  Michael, can you check
    next time you stitch a pano.  The log window will tell you what is
    being written, and where.  Maybe it's not /tmp at all.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger g...@freebsd.org for PGP public key.