Hi all,

today we are releasing a first beta of Hugin 2018.0. (The final release
will not be this year, therefor I called it 2018.0)

Source tarball can be downloaded
at sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/files/hugin/hugin-2018.0/hugin-2018.0beta1.tar.bz2/download
or at launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/hugin/2018.0/2018.0beta1/+download/hugin-2018.0beta1.tar.bz2

<https://launchpad.net/hugin/2017.0/2017.0beta1/+download/hugin-2017.0beta1.tar.bz2>

Verify its checksums:
md5: ca73a7566423ed7147efe04ad6bff0c2  hugin-2018.0beta1.tar.bz2
sha1: 7e61d268f0b164218003f4be90ad007e460fbc32  hugin-2018.0beta1.tar.bz2

This is a source code release.
Users communities produce executables for their respective platforms.
Please announce them here.

(The beta 1 correspond to changeset 5089f6e3961e in our repository, which
is also tagged as 2018.0 beta1).

Changes since 2017.0

The version 2018.0 is mainly a bug fix release and introduce some minor new
features.
* Several improvements for optimizer tabs:
   **mark deselected images
   ** allow changing optimizer variables for all selected images at once
   ** option to ignore line cp
* hugin_stacker: New tool to stack overlapping images with several
averaging modes (e.g. mean, median).
* Hugin: Added option to disable auto-rotation of images in control point
and mask editor.
* Nona, verdandi and hugin_stacker can now write BigTIFF images (for files
>4 GB). The output of BigTIFF has to manually activated on the command
line. It is not set automatically. (For a complete panorama in BigTIFF you
will probably also need enblend/enfuse from repository. The last released
version of enblend does not yet support writing BigTIFF files.)
* Added expression parser to GUI: This allows to manipulate several image
variables at once. (This is the same as running pto_var --set from the
command line.) This can be used e.g. to prealign the images in a given
setup and then run cpfind --prealigned to search control points only in
overlapping images.
* Add user-defined assistant and expose it in the GUI. It allows to set up
different assistant strategies without the need to recompiling. Provide
also some examples (scanned images, multi-row panoramas with orphaned
images, single-shot panorama cameras).

Upgrading from previous versions of Hugin should be seamless. If you do
have problems with old settings, these can be reset in the Preferences
window by clicking 'Load defaults'.

A first draft of release notes can be found at
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/releases/2018.0.0/en.shtml

IMPORTANT
This is also a call for translators. Please update your translation files.
Some new strings have been added.

Please test and report bug/issues to mailing list or bug tracker
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hugin

The user defined output sequence and user defined assistant can be extended
for some use cases. We can ship with some more file or provide them for
download (when they are more special). If you have questions or want to
include your use case/file post to the mailing list.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/05ac4a63-f123-4ea8-bfe6-5531915fa41c%40googlegroups.com.