Thanks T. Modes -- align_image_stack does a great job of finding points but
it appears that align_image_stack only matches pair-wise between sequential
images, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, etc... Those image pairs are aligned very well,
but I have 63 images in this stack so the error compounds too much from the
first to the last, so it doesn't work overall.

Is there a way to make align_image_stack check all pairs?

(Also -- what algorithm is used by the fast preview window when you create
points in a rectangle with "create control points here"? Is it controlled
by prefs -> Control Points Editor options?)

GnomeNomad -- thanks, I tried with and without --fullscale.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/746f12dc-8f0d-4c88-928b-c04d81132c28%40googlegroups.com.