Thanks as always for the excellent help -- I got the images to align by
doing as you said: paying more attention to the CPs. align_image_stack was
finding bad matches, but I was getting fooled when I was checking the
points. Closer inspection revealed that they were bad. I ended up having to
make manual points for the 1-63 pair, as well as a few internal pairs
(1-21, 21-42, 42-63). I then optimized the 1-21-42-63 set (with
Positions/Barrel/View, as Bruno suggested), then I did a custom
optimization with 1-21-42-63 fixed, and the result wasn't perfect, but it
was close enough to get the job done.

It's good to know about the ability to optimize/align subsets of images,
thanks for that!

-c

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/44232960-d797-46e5-b348-09dbcbc8b43d%40googlegroups.com.