On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 12:34:49 PM UTC-5 T. Modes wrote:

> Just to recapitulate how the magnifier work:
> a) When a cp is selected (via the list or by clicking on it) the magnifier
> is shown. As soon as the mouse moves over one image it is hidden. -> So no
> need for an additional shortcut IMO. Just move the mouse.
> b) The magnifier is then showing again when dragging the selected cp with
> the mouse. When the dragging is finished the magnifier is hidden after 2 s.
> During dragging I think the magnifier is helpful for better selection of
> the position.
>
> So which behaviour is disturbing you?

That description doesn't fit the behavior that I think I've experienced.
But I never had a good mental model of what that behavior was and the
surprises in behavior were part of the problem.  Later I may try to test a
bit and see where the behavior doesn't fit your description.

I hope Bruno and others will answer your question, because I'm pretty sure
Bruno disliked the current magnifier hiding and would be more competent to
explain why and/or have more mainstream reasons.

For myself, I am slow at parsing visual information, such as comparing what
I see in one magnifier to what I see in the other, so as I'm deciding
whether to move it more, the magnifier is gone and I can't finish deciding.

I also find it very odd that there is so often a magnifier on one image but
not on the other.  Is there a point to that, which I'm missing?  The basic
activity is comparing the location of the cp in one image to its location
in the other.  When is that helped by seeing the cp in a different way in
one image vs. the other?  When the context (from hiding the magnifier) is
helpful, isn't it needed on both;  When the magnifier itself is helpful,
isn't it the comparison between the two, which is actually helpful?