When points are very close together in a mask, you can't select just one to
move.

I understand having the points so close is not typical.  But the code seems
to have been written anticipating points being that close together and
intending that a single click should select all the nearby points.
Separately, there is a different way to select a group of points, so it
seems like a strange feature.

Can someone tell me why the current behavior would be desired?

I'm removing it in my private copy anyway.  I find it annoying when it
happens and never useful.  But I would like to know the intent.

The code I'm talking about is
in MaskImageCtrl::OnLeftMouseDown
in             case NO_SELECTION:
SelectPointsInsideMouseRect