I am building a fork of hugin
https://sourceforge.net/projects/huginplusplus/

That requires a fork of libpano13
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fastptoptimizer/

I don't think my issues are specific to those forks.  Likely this is just
my ignorance regarding CMake.

Are there options I should have used with CMake to get things to go to the
right place?  Or is the place they went "right" and I should have done
something different with the other CMake to find things in that place.

When I did a *make install* on the fork of libpano13, it put files in
/usr/local/lib64
But the Fedora package for libpano13-devel puts those files in /usr/lib64
The build for the fork of hugin finds the files where libpano13-devel put
them.

I would like to know the generally correct way to have make install put
things in the right place.

But I would also like to know how to keep such things more separated:
Can the build for hugin be made to find the fork of libpano13 where that
was built (so I don't install that at all)?  If not, can I install it
elsewhere so it is entirely non overlapping with the fedora
libpano13-devel, and get the build of the fork of hugin to use that?
(currently most files of the make install go to the same places as
libpano13-develputs them, but some go to different places).