On Thursday, March 3, 2022 at 3:11:34 PM UTC-5 bruno...@gmail.com wrote:

> The libpano13-devel rpm package only exists for you to compile and link to
> the libpano13 rpm package in /usr. Just uninstall it and your Hugin build
> will pick up your forked libpano13 headers in /usr/local/include

Thanks.  I asked for the "right" way to do this.  Your answer sounds like
that.  I haven't tested your answer and it doesn't really fit what I'm
trying to do.  But it does help me understand how things fit together.  I
want to build both the fork and non fork version of hugin, so I should be
using both versions of libpano13.

The kludge that worked was:

I repaired the install of the non fork version:
*sudo dnf reinstall libpano13-devel*

I edited  *CMakeCache.txt* in my build directory for the fork of libpano13
so that it would install entirely disjoint from the *-devel *package
(rather than partially overlapped).  I changed
*CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr*
*CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/ELSEWHERE*

I reran:
*cmake /media/windows/repository_for_pano_fork*
*make -j32*
*sudo make install*

Then I switched to the build directory for the hugin fork and edited its
*CMakeCache.txt*, finding all (5) places that referenced *pano13* (case
insensitive) and in each changed */usr* to */ELSEWHERE*
Then reran
*cmake /media/windows/repository_for_hugin_fork*
*make -j32*

(I did not install it)
That is clearly a kludge.  But it works and it is what I understand enough
to do.

> You may also need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH for your forked Hugin to use this
> library at runtime.
>
> I have forgotten what I long ago understood about when an executable keeps
the reference to the .so file it was linked against vs. when it searches
again for that .so at load time.  If I ever make a package for the fork of
hugin, I'll need to understand that stuff.  But I do remember how to use*
ldd*.  The hugin executable works without LD_LIBRARY_PATH, because it is
tied to the location of the .so file that it was linked against *
/ELSEWHERE/lib64/libpano.so.3*

I also needed the usual adjustment to the XRC location in order to be able
to run this hugin without installing it.

More testing required.  But so far, that seems like all I needed to do to
connect the fork of libpano13 to the fork of hugin without overwriting
anything needed by the non fork version of hugin.

Red parts are not literally the names I used, but communicate the idea
better than the actual names.  The rest (including the fact that my source
code is in repositories on a windows system) is literal.