I think the real question is: why do we have both config/ and m4/ ?

There's only a single .m4 file in m4/, but several in config/.  I vote that
m4/decl.m4 should move to config/decl.m4, and then this issue goes away.

Specifically: I think the reason we don't specify both directories in
Makefile.am is because whatever is specified in ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS must be the
same directory that is specified in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, and it looks like
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR can only take 1 directory as an argument.

Any objections to removing the decl/ directory?