Am Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:18:27 +0200
schrieb Dennis Drummer <dennisdrumme...@googlemail.com>:

> But Hydrogen hasn't got features like Aftertouch or Midi CC Messages. Could
> it be possible, to implement this features for full edrum support?

I'd like to chime in here ... I investigated use of Hydrogen as drum machine
for live play and also got hold of the idea behind the CC fun my Roland TD10
generates. I do have Hydrogen in live playing use now, but with a simpler, more
portable MIDI trigger set (Alesis ControlPad with digital hihat / custom double
bass trigger "pedals" and 2 Yamaha cymbal pads connected).

I missed features for opening/closing the HiHat (so I can use one pad/cymbal
for both hihat sounds) and choking of cymbals. But there's a way around that.
Choking actually works for me by putting one trigger input into one mute group
with the cymbals and put a silent sample on it --- hydrogen is configured to
choke off the other playing samples in the group when I hit this specific pad.
But you don't want to choke one cymbal with the other, so I have two groups and
have set up a trick to choke both groups with the "choke pad": I duplicate the
MIDI event and emulate two "choke pads".

The other use of my MIDI filter is to switch the hihat sound between open and
closed based on pressing/releasing the foot "pedal" (a button, really;-). This
again simply modifies the MIDI notes passed to hydrogen. You can widen the
concept for the CC messages from the Roland gear: Just switch the notes the
HiHat input note is mapped to. I doubt you'll need 127 notes for that as I
don't think you really have the patience to record that many samples;-)

You could do something similar with the positional sensing info ... defining a
few zones per drum (it's not that ultra-accurate anyway). So you could use
hydrogen as massive sample database with n times the actual drums you have as
instruments and have the mapper rework the MIDI data to trigger those.
Eventually, one can think of merging that MIDI mapper stuff into hydrogen, but
the beauty of it is that with the external solution, hydrogen folks don't need
to wrap their heads around the more elaborate instrument model;-)

Though, I admit, a drum model that equals that what the Roland drum computers
do would be nice to have in the end. Anyhow, you can have a look at my MIDI
mapper at http://scm.orgis.org/view/thor/midi/hihatmap.c . It's really a simple
hack. Usage means running that program, then using aconnect to have the
hardware MIDI input given to this program and its output to hydrogen. I got
scripts to automate that on my machine, so that I connect the ControlPad, start
jackd, run "drumkit" in a terminal and can start playing.

Using such a mapper, you can work out what you want with the custom CC messages
from your Roland ... I guess you can also detect the choking of the pads (delay
till note-off, I guess). I didn't bother to extend my experiments to that, as
the Alesis works fine as transportable drum kit (it fits into a backpack;-) ...
and the Roland drum computer ... well, it works, and it's quite an effort to
make something better. Only thing that sucks is that you can't easily feed it
new sample sets ... but you'd also have to get your hands on a better sample
set compared to what's build in (and I'm not sure on what "modelling" is really
there where one can tune the parameters like drum depth & material, muffling,
head tuning).

Alrighty then,

Thomas.