Am Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:40:53 +0200
schrieb thijs van severen <thijsvanseve...@gmail.com>:

> @Thomas : what is your audio latency reported by jack?

More below...

> On 23 Jun 2011 11:13, "Krzysztof Foltman" <w...@foltman.com> wrote:
>
> On 23/06/11 08:17, Thomas Orgis wrote:
>
> > So, my Roland drum brain is a bit quicker as the current c...
> Not as unlikely as you think. My old drum brain (infamous Fame DD602)
> had a horrendous latency on its MIDI output.

To clarify: I am comparing the MIDI setup with playing on a Roland TD-10 set,
the Roland drum brain is not involved with Hydrogen. The MIDI data comes from
an Alesis ControlPad which really is just a MIDI trigger, no drum brain
involved. So I'd assume that since triggering MIDI events from hitting pads is
the only purpose of the device, it does that without noticeable delay;-)
But I can test that, connecting it as trigger to the Roland brain's MIDI input.
If that shows clearly less latency, then I know something on the PC side is to
blame. Heck... I can even connect the Alesis to the PC and route to a separate
MIDI adapter into the Roland brain. If _that_ doesn't show the same latency,
then Hydrogen is looking highly suspicious;-)

And about JACK: I actaully got confused as I _think_ (talking of hunches here)
that the latency improved while going from 3x64 to 3x256 or 2x512 periods ...
or at least it didn't get _worse_. That, and the fact that you can rather
nicely play guitar without noticing much of latency when using 3x256 or such on
this laptop, suggests that JACK is not the source of the latency I feel there.
But granted, the guitar play was with an USB audio interface ... the drumming
was with the internal sound chip. But I'd be surprised if the USB interface had
less latency than the internal chip.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.