Hi,

have a separate repo for the manual &then use github API !!

available API :
    $ curl https://api.github.com/repos/hydrogen-music/hydrogen

latest commit metadata:
    $ curl https://api.github.com/repos/hydrogen-music/hydrogen/commits/HEAD

download HEAD:
    $ curl -L https://api.github.com/repos/hydrogen-music/hydrogen/zipball >
h2.zip

H2 could then ask for HEAD metadata, and update it's local manual from
github when needed.

On Monday 13 March 2017  08:20, Thijs van severen wrote :
> Hi
>
> I did a big portion of the last update and -if time permits- want to help
> with this again, but first i need to get some new features in H2 that I
> really really need for playing live and am currently trying to implement.
>
> I remember talking about an 'update able manual'.  In other words a
> document that is not part of the binary, but that is provided with the
> installer and can be (auto) updated whenever a new version is available.
> Typically the manual lags behind the code development and thus is 'never'
> up to date.  Decoupling code and manual also makes sure that the release is
> not delayed by an incomplete manual.
>
> Thinking about the suggestion you made about git: that makes a lot of sense
> if we should switch to the 'update able manual'.  Imagine a new feature
> that needs to be added to the manual. This would only be added to the
> manual branch for the latest code.  But if you fix an error in a part of
> the manual that is common to all H2 version, git can easily handle this and
> push the fix to all manual branches.
>
> Would it be possible to let H2 get the manual directly from git ? I guess
> this requires git functionality on the user side that is not always
> available. Maybe an export to pdf would be preferable.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Grtz
> Thijs
>
> Op 11 mrt. 2017 11:35 a.m. schreef <mau...@smoors.de>:
>
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > As you most of you already know, the hydrogen manual and tutorial are
> > getting more and more deprecated since those documents were not updated
> > for some time.. Is there anyone on this list who has an interested in
> > writing and who would be interested in helping with updating the manual?
> >
> > Apart from that, i'm currently thinking about putting the documentation
> > (manual and tutorial) in a separate git repository. This helps to keep
> > the source code repository small (i suppose that over time, more and
> > more larger images will be added to the manual) and allows for a better
> > permission-management for our repositories.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Sebastian

Jérémy Zurcher
rue des Charmilles 7