Can someone help me here? I'm using XFree86 4.3 on a laptop. I am trying to use the us_intl keyboard (deadkeys). All of the special characters finally work, which i have never managed to see before! For example, if i do circumflex and c, i get a c with a circumflex on top. It hard to explain my problem, since i'm not sure about the terminology. Consider the following two lines from xmodmap output:

xmodmap -p
mod3    Mode_switch (0x71)

xmodmap -pke
keycode 48 = dead_acute dead_diaerisis apostrophe quotedbl

(Note that i had to modify Alt_R (0x71) to map it to mod3 Mode_switch.) When i type Alt_R apostrophe, an apostrophe should be typed, but in actuality nothing happens.

Why won't Mode_switch work? On my desktop, which runs XFree86 4.2, i have the opposite behavior. Only the most common non-ASCII characters will be inserted. (For example, e circumflex but not c circumflex.) However, with the exact same setting for Alt_R (mod3 Mode_switch (0x71)) when i type Alt_R and apostrophe, an apostrophe is typed.

Leston